Good morning New York!
We’re super excited to announce that StaffPlus is returning to New York on 19-20 March 2024. We're back with double the days, incredible content, the best community in engineering, and soon - your talk proposal!
StaffPlus is an event aimed specifically at the challenges faced by Staff Engineers, Principal Engineers, and other folks on the technical track in their organisations. Senior ICs are leaders at their companies and their roles require as many new skills as stepping into management - but more often than not, companies don't provide support for that transition.
That's why we're bringing together the most incredible community of leaders on the technical track to think about what it means to be a senior individual contributor in today's engineering landscape; how to navigating your role as a leader; how to frame your strategic thinking; how to bring your organisation up a level technically; and more!
What topics are we interested in?
All of our StaffPlus events are focused around four themes: big picture thinking, making the right technical decisions, influence at scale, and crunchy tech talks. We’ve detailed a bit about them below and remember, you can submit more than one idea!
- Big Picture Thinking - As you scale the technical track, the impact of your decisions increases. Strategic planning; consistently prioritizing the “big picture”; thinking about systems and architecture, and how choices impact the engineering org and the business in the long term all become core to your role.
- Making the Right Technical Decisions - Very senior ICs are ‘force multipliers’. You’re expected to lead, execute and complete deeply technical projects across teams. In other words, you are continuously pushing on a project to ensure forward progress, filling in the gaps when needed, while understanding at what altitude you should be working.
- Influence at Scale - As a high-impacting engineer, you don’t just focus on solving technical problems, you have to influence other people to make things happen. But getting a large group of folks to walk in the same direction to bring the whole organisation to an upper level is easier said than done, especially when you won’t directly manage team members. So how can you be a good influence?
- Crunchy Tech Talks - Senior ICs solve technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity. Making high-value, high-impact technical decisions and recommendations and motivating teams to deliver is core to your role. We particularly value case studies in this category - check out Maude's talk from last year to see exactly what we mean.
Themes for StaffPlus 2024
We are super interested in any idea that you have the falls into the above categories - but for StaffPlus New York 2024, we've also set four themes in which we're particularly interested. We've detailed them below, and you can read all about them at this link:
- Navigating IC + manager + exec relationships
- Pitching projects effectively
- Maintaining and reducing infrastructure costs
- Practically engaging with AI
The speaker experience
Working with speakers is one of our favourite things about running StaffPlus. We love to giving you the opportunity to share your stories and knowledge with our audience - and we put a tonne of work in to help your content shine. Throughout the process, you’ll have the opportunity to work with our editor on your talk descriptions, our professional coach who’ll help you hone your presentation delivery, and our content team who’ll review your talk and help you sharpen it for our audience.
As a speaker for the event, we'd also offer you:
- A free ticket to the conference
- A complimentary ticket to a LeadDev conference in 2024
- 2 nights accommodation at the conference hotel
- Economy travel expenses
- Professional speaker coaching if requested
- Dedicated support from our team at all stages of your participation in the conference
We hope that's given you all the information you need to submit a great proposal. We can't wait to read them!